Style 101: The Buzzcut
Published 28th Nov 2022One of the ultimate statement looks for a woman, the buzzcut is back. It screams attitude, strength and rebellion. But is it right for everyone? The buzzcut is a strong look. It’s literally about paring hair back to the minimum, showcasing the face and the facial features, and a number of female celebrities have worn it well. Back in 1997, Demi Moore sported the style for her role in the movie G.I .Jane, one of her most iconic looks and this year, celebs such as MJ Rodriguez, Saweetie and Jordan Alexander have all embraced the buzzcut and carried it off to striking effect. [caption id="attachment_88281" align="alignnone" width="700"] MJ Rodriguez[/caption] [caption id="attachment_88282" align="alignnone" width="700"] Saweetie[/caption] [caption id="attachment_88283" align="alignnone" width="700"] Jordan Alexander[/caption]
Buzzcut Consultation is KeyWe spoke to Room 97 Creative owner Marcello Moccia who says: “A buzzcut represents a dramatic change for most women and once done, hair is going to take some time to grow back. If a client requests a buzzcut, as the hair professional, it’s your job to ensure they are 100% sure it’s what they want and that it will deliver the desired end result.” For 2022, the trend definitely seems to be combining buzzcuts with striking colour. Bold, bright tones can lift the cut and add to the powerful statement already being made by the length. Instagram is awash with buzzcuts featuring everything from citrus green to pink leopard print. One celeb that caught our eye is actress Jodie Turner-Smith, who appears to be making her way through the hair colour rainbow. Earlier this month at The Independent premiere, Jodie gave her buzzcut a new (bright green) striking face. Previously, we've seen the star sporting blue, lilac, hot pink and white blonde - so what's next on the cards? Jodie's hair-fun is a great example that striking looks don't have to come with a major commitment, clients can explore the styles they've dreamed of without fear, just make sure they're keeping up with a good haircare regime to support this hobby! Top Tips
- For many women, requesting a buzzcut could be down to a lack of satisfaction with their current hairstyle; they may be looking for a complete transformation, but are they really aware just how dramatic a transformation like the buzzcut will bring?
- Before reaching for the clippers, ensure you carry out a thorough consultation. Chat through their reasons for opting for a buzzcut and make sure they are ready for how different they will look once it’s done.
- As a general rule, if a client has larger facial features, a buzzcut will accentuate these and the result could be quite harsh. If you, as the stylist, feel the look won’t suit the client’s face shape or features, perhaps suggest something softer, such as a crop, with some length on top of the head.
- Ensure the client has a healthy-looking scalp before executing a buzzcut. Perhaps suggest a suitable in-salon treatment to help soothe any irritation and to clear the scalp of any loose skin particles.
- If the buzzcut is what the client wants — go for it! The results can be stunning.