How To Manage Your Salon And Teams Over The Busy Christmas Period
It’s nine weeks until Christmas – traditionally the busiest time of the year, with plenty of ups and downs for salon owners and hairdressers. We asked a selection of hairdressers for some tips on how to manage and take the stress out of the busy period for you and your teams...
Jason Miller, Charlie Miller Salons for L’Oréal Professionnel
- Plan and book the team Christmas party for early December and kick-start the team party spirit.
- Christmas-ify the salon atmosphere with great decorations, mulled wine, and cool seasonal tunes.
- Chat about the party season with clients and how they can enhance their bouncy blow dry, super sleek ponytail or soft updo by keeping their hair glossy and glamorous with a quick colour refresh.
Jamie Brooks, Brooks & Brooks, London
- It’s important clients feel pampered when they come into the salon so make sure there are plenty of seats available, refreshments are served, and they are well looked after the minute they step through the door.
- It’s important you do things as a team during the busy period so team members also feel appreciated. Go for a drink or pizza after work, organise Secret Santa, and personal presents and don’t forget to thank them for their hard work, it can really change their mood and give them a boost when it’s busy.
- Plan the team working rotas now so everyone knows when you are open and who will be working over the festive period. Get everyone on board with your operations and then there will be no nasty surprises.
Robert Kirby, Robert Kirby London
- The window display is the very first impression a client sees. Try and make it appealing to everyone and as fun as possible.
- January is usually a tough month, so Christmas is a great opportunity to get people back in the salon. Talk to your clients about rebooking and give them something to look forward to in the New Year.
- Ensure the salon is a news-free zone, you want your clients and your team to enjoy the lead up to Christmas without being reminded of what’s going on in the world. For your team, it’s a busy few months, so keep them motivated with an environment that they want to come to work in.
Marcello Moccia, Room 97 Creative, Wakefield
- Have plans in place in case team members are off ill, there’s rumours of another Covid wave in the winter so be prepared for any uncertainty and have a Covid plan in place.
- Utilise your retail, everyone loves a little hair gift at Christmas, so have plenty of gifts for them to choose from or create their own bespoke Christmas gift with a choice of products in a beautiful box.
- Offer special Christmas party appointments for your clients, who will want to get glammed up for their special night out. Make them feel pampered and offer a glass of fizz to get them in the party mood.