The tale of the ponytail – the standout trend from aw20?
17th Feb 2020
Swish, swish! The classic ponytail has taken fashion week by storm this season, featuring on the catwalks from New York to London over the past week.
The key to the ponies we are seeing this season is the fullness of the ends of the hair and the smoothness of the texture, which is kept slicked to the scalp.
While the look is relatively client-friendly to recreate at home, seeing these looks strut down the catwalk might inspired your clients to check in for their in-salon treatments to achieve the smooth, shiny model looks. Below we break down some of the key fashion week ponytails and the products used to create them backstage.
Hair inspiration for Longchamp - New York fashion week
The hair, by Redken
creative director Guido
, was a nod to the classic French woman. "We were very inspired by French movies when creating this look... there’s an effortlessness to it, with a modern twist," says Guido. "I prepped the low ponytail by creating a small centre-parting in the front to enhance the head shape while keeping the hairline soft around the ears." He also took reference from the 1970s
for the look.
Get the look - by Guido Palau
1. Prep hair by washing with Redken Extreme Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Apply a small amount of Redken Extreme Play Safe to lengths.
3. Blow-dry hair with a round brush, leaving it smooth.
4. Once fully dry, create a centre parting with your fingertips going about 2 – 3” back on your head shape.
5. If needed, apply a few spritzes of the Redken Deep Clean Dry Shampoo to your roots to add in some touchable volume.
6. Pull hair back into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic.
7. Using your fingers, square off your hairline in the front and soften the hairline around the ears by allowing baby hairs to peek through.
Hair inspiration for Emilia Wickstead at London fashion week
For the Emilia Wickstead show the clothes all featured beautiful draping of thicker fabrics and this was emulated in the hair look by Benjamin Muller for Dyson Professional
. The collection boasts bold masculinity with feminine undertones and the hair has been styled to help compliment these themes, especially with the styling of the slicked down wave at the front.
Get the look - by Benjamin Muller
1. Prepare the hair with Bumble and bumble Thickening Blow Dry Crème, Bumble and bumble Bb. Gel and Bb. thickening spray when the hair is wet to help produce a really straight blow-dry.
2. Using the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer professional edition
with the styling concentrator attachment, blow-dry hair section by section to achieve a poker straight finish. Bring the side parting down really low to form a strong angle from the corner of the eye and incorporate a slight wave. This is important when creating a bolder look.
3. For the back, create a really straight low textured ponytail. Using the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer simultaneously will create a really smooth finish. Bind elastic three quarters of the way up to finish.
4. To finish and set the hair, use the Bumble and bumble Spray de Mode Hairspray and a few spritzes of the Bumble and bumble Glow Thermal Protection Mist for shine.
AADNEVIK at London Fashion Week AW/20
With the designs for the Aadnevik show centring around Alexander Jamieson’s depiction of the heavens in a celestial atlas, where star maps are overlaid with imagery from Zodiac and ancient mythology, Joseph Ferraro created deluxe high ponytails to compliment the styling. The stylist used Authentic Beauty Concept for all for all ten model looks.
Get the look - by Joseph Ferraro
1. Prep the hair with Authentic Beauty Concept Flawless Primer
2. Blow-dry the hair, applying Authentic Beauty Concept Amplify Mousse to each section and blow-drying in to give lift - blow-dry in an upwards direction around the hairline to achieve the high pony.
3. Brush the hair into shape, using Authentic Beauty Concept Working Hairspray whist getting the hair into a high pony tail. Tie with elastic.
4. For extra length and volume, apply a hair weft working it around the ponytail and fixing into place.
5. Take a section from underneath the ponytail, spray with Working Hairspray and wrap around the elastic, working from the ponytail towards the head. Secure with a grip.
6. Once the hair is in place you can use Authentic Beauty Concept Shaping Cream to pick up any little flyaway hairs around the hairline and use a make-up brush to smooth it all over.
7. Set the look with Authentic Beauty Concept Strong Hold Hairspray and finish with Authentic Beauty Concept Glow Touch for added shine and to create a polished finish.
Images courtesy of Redken, Dyson Professional and Authentic Beauty Concept