Get The Rihanna Half-Time Show Look
Published 14th Feb 2023
We caught up with Dan Mewies, salon owner, session stylist and brand educator for Authentic Beauty Concept, to get his thoughts as well as tips and tricks for recreating Rihanna's Half-Time show look. After seven years off stage, Rihanna was BACK for Super Bowl Sunday. The half time show is always one of the most high-profile music moments of the year, and Ri's 13-minute performance was viewed by millions of viewers worldwide… and what a show it was! https://www.instagram.com/p/ColpwM7OVsc/ Doing what she does best, Rihanna slayed her performance with a medley of all her greatest hits – and a little bit of product placement moment in a nod to her Fenty Beauty range. Appearing on a stage suspended above the stadium with an army of backup dancers, Rihanna did what she does best - entertained. And of course the low key reveal that she is expecting her second child with A$AP Rocky has since broken the internet. But what about the hair? Dan says, “What a show, what a performance! As usual, Rihanna bought her a-game and delivered a masterpiece. As for her hair, I loved the high snatched ponytail with braiding detail. It was the perfect mix of on-trend, simply stunning and totally functional which is always a great combination when you’re suspended in the air whilst performing live to 28 million viewers!” Dan’s top tips for recreating Rihanna's Half-Time show look:
- Prep is key as achieving a slick base with hold is a must for this kind of look. I would use a volumising mousse, and towel dry the hair before drying.
- Once dry, add a texture spray for added grip and heat protection before straightening.
- Next, pull the hair back into a high snatched pony, leaving the face framing sections out. My tip is to get someone to spray a strong hold hairspray lightly into the hair as you brush it into place, then secure tightly with elastic.
- Once in place, you can ponytail extensions if required.
- Next, add the braiding to your ponytail and finish with a Working Hairspray.
- Straighten the face framing sections and finish with a very healthy dose of shine spray, giving it that gorgeous glossy, glass-like finish.